By Leven Woon
When the Bersih 3.0 rally is over, Wanita PKR head Zuraida Kamaruddin plans to pursue an allegation that a federal minister had paid an actress about RM1.5 million over four months.
Zuraida (right), who had revealed the claim on April 18 by citing a police report lodged by the actress’ ex-driver, said she will produce “evidence” and lodge a report with the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC).
“I will call a press conference and come up with the evidence and witnesses if there is a need. But for now, let’s just concentrate on Bersih 3.0 (rally on Saturday),” she told a press conference today.
The Ampang MP declined to describe the type of evidence in her possession, apart from describing it as “solid”.
She had earlier claimed that Shafie had paid the actress between October last year and January this year for their “intimate relationship”, and gave the minister a week to explain his “source of funds”.
Lawyer’s letter arrives
Zuraida also disclosed she had received a lawyer’s letter from Zahida yesterday, issued by senior lawyer Muhammad Shafee Abdullah.
Dated April 23, the letter demanded that she stop making further statements on the issue and not to cause any articles to be published by the media.
Zuraida was also told to retract her previous statement, as well as to apologise to Zahida and compensate her.
If she fails to do within seven days, legal proceedings will be commenced.
“I did not expect to receive a letter from Zahida, I thought Shafie was the one who wants to sue me.
“And why is this actress using the prominent Umno-linked lawyer?” Zuraida queried, in commenting on the letter.
Meanwhile, English daily The Star reported today that Shafie is unfazed by the allegations.
“It is not true and is just a story made up by certain people. I have no problems in carrying out my duties because I know that I am on the right track,” the Semporna MP reportedly said.
He had said on Monday that the allegations were “ill-intentioned” and were made for political purposes. – Mkini