By Nigel Aw
Carpet mogul Deepak Jaikishan announced today he will resign from all companies where he is a director after they revolted against him for his series of interviews with the media on the controversy surrounding murdered Mongolian national Altantuya Shaariibuu.
“This morning I was asked by my board of directors to resign from all the 26 companies where I am a director because of the controversy involving this Altantuya (left) and private investigator Bala (subramaniam)’s matter,” he told a press conference in Kuala Lumpur Wednesday evening.
Deepak, who wore a casual grey T-shirt, appeared solemn and said his family members, too, are upsetwith him.
“Basically the pressure came after I finished my interviews yesterday, especially my Harakah interview, and I was asked to leave all the 26 companies,” he said.
He said that he had been candid with portal Harakahdaily because he shared a sense of spirituality with the organ of Islamic party PAS.
Asked if the revolt was a result of pressure from the powers that be, he replied: “I believe so. There must be people who are not happy because I am revealing the truth, including my own family. They are very unhappy about this.
“But for me, I can’t get the ghost of Altantuya out of my system, it has bothered me. I can’t do business.
“I want to come clean and I want to go to a temple and apologise to her for even trying to conceal the fact that I was involved in facilitating the second statutory declaration (SD),” he said.
Deepak had on Monday and Tuesday given several interviews to media about the his links to Najib and the Altantuya controversy including Harakahdaily, Malaysia Chronicles, The Malaysian Insider and Malaysiakini.
Asked if he was approached by the powers that be after his interviews, he declined to answer, stating that he will reply when he takes the stand in a court case on a land dispute tomorrow, involving him, a Selangor Umno leader and the Defence Ministry, which Prime Minister Najib Abdul Razak had then helmed.
Deepak has accused Najib of receiving “contributions” from him for the former’s intervention in the land deal but is upset that the premier now refuses to aid him in resolving the dispute.
Further to that, he noted that since he fell out with Najib’s family after the P Balasubramaniam (right) SD fiasco, companies of which he was involved in had lost several projects.
“There has been a lot of withdrawal, cancellations and indefinite postponements of contracts including a 20-year concession agreement for overseas Mara hostels worth RM2 billion ringgit… it has hit us very badly,” he said.
‘She cancelled my business projects’
Asked if this falling out had anything to do with Balasubramaniam’s refusal to keep silent after the RM5 million promised to him to withdraw his accusation linking Najib to Altantuya was not fulfilled, as only RM750,000 was paid, he said it was not he who had promised the amount.
“All promises were not made by me, Bala met the member of the family hence the commitment should be fulfilled by those who promised,” he said.
However, queried if “the family” had made him pay Balasubramaniam instead, Deepak refused to comment, stating that he was sorting out his own protection.
He said that his home, office and factory were also raided and documents concerning his business dealings with the powers that be were also confiscated after the falling out.
The raids, he said, happened in 2010 and 2011 after he called a press conference responding to whistleblower Raja Petra Kamaruddin’s accusations of his links with Najib’s wife Rosmah Mansor.
Deepak today alluded to a female figure who had instructed all his projects to be cancelled after the falling out.
“We (Deepak and his businesses) are looking at the possibility… to take action against the authorities (for cancelling the projects).
“But we are looking more at a scenario where the involvement of a particular person who has the authority – even though not in the government – to give such instructions to her family members to terminate the contracts. We want to claim damages from this person,” he said.
Asked if he was referring the Rosmah, he replied: “I will not comment today”.
Leaving the country
Deepak further said once he settles his personal affairs in the nearest time, he intends to depart the country on Dec 11, for Burma and will only return on March 11, next year.
“I am not doing this because I fear anyone, but I think there is no purpose being here as my shareholders have all revolted, they refuse to accept the platform I have taken, they say my credibility is lost and my respect in the business world is diminished.
“I have resigned and if I reside here, I have nothing to do. I have no wife here, if I do business elsewhere maybe I can find a Burmese girl,” he said.
However, he said even though he no longer has any directorship, he remains a shareholder in the companies and will work to protect his interests, including in the ongoing land dispute case. – Mkini