IGP: Police arrest more suspects linked to Movida attack

Movida KUALA LUMPUR: Police have arrested more individuals believed linked to the attack on the Movida pub in Puchong last month, said Inspector-General of Police Khalid Abu Bakar.

He was providing an update on the hunt for two more suspects involved in the grenade attack which left eight people injured.

“We have made some more arrests, even today. We will issue a statement soon,” he told a press conference at Bukit Aman federal police headquarters here today.

Police had previously confirmed that the grenade blast was the first successful Islamic State (IS) attack in Malaysia.

Realising the threat posed by the Syria and Iraq-based terror group, Khalid said the authorities have stepped up their presence and security measures at all locations which they believe might be targeted by IS.

He also dismissed talk that the home-made explosives found near the Keretapi Tanah Melayu Berhad (KTMB) railway track in Jalan Kolam Air 9, Sentul, last Wednesday, was an act of terror.

“We have uncovered some leads and we believe it is not linked to any terrorism act.”

Police were alerted to the explosive, a mineral water bottle wrapped in plastic and newspaper, along the tracks by KTMB’s auxiliary personnel.

According to an earlier report by English daily Malay Mail, the bottle contained gunpowder, ball bearings and glass shrapnel wrapped in a cylinder-shaped cardboard paper and plastic.

Commenting on the revelation that he and Bukit Aman’s Special Branch Counter-Terrorism Division Chief Ayob Khan Mydin Pitchay have been targeted by IS, Khalid said the threat was nothing to worry about.

“As a leader who takes care of the country’s security, we expect all this. This is nothing new to us. So don’t worry too much about it.”

Police have been on high alert after IS militants issued a threat to Bukit Aman in a propaganda video.

“Those of you in Bukit Aman, you will no longer have peace. We will slaughter you … when we return.

“Our friends back home will hunt you down,” said Mohd Rafi Udin, the first known Malaysian IS fighter in Syria, in the video released last month. – FMT

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Police, Terrorism. Bookmark the permalink.