PETALING JAYA: The director of a federal agency in Labuan has been rearrested by the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC), this time to assist in another investigation.
The suspect, aged 59, was arrested last week for alleged corruption in the construction of a RM12mil food court in Tg Purun, Labuan.
His remand period ended Monday and he was rearrested Tuesday over investigations into a building and infrastructure project worth RM48mil in Labuan.
Labuan magistrate’s court registrar Haizah Tamin granted a seven-day remand order against the director Tuesday.
So far, MACC has recorded statements from 17 witnesses.
Two of them are civil servants and the rest are personnel from several companies and contractors.
Sources said no new arrest or seizure of assets and property has been made.
Graft investigators are still sifting through documents and other evidence to determine the number of contracts in the project since the director took the helm about two years ago.
Two contractors, in their 40s, who were detained with the director earlier to assist in the food court project probe have been released.
The director is said to have asked for RM100,000 from the contractors as kickbacks for awarding them the project.
MACC deputy chief commissioner (operations) Datuk Azam Baki confirmed that the director was rearrested over an on-going probe under Section 17(a) of the MACC Act 2009 for offering and receiving bribes.
So far, 12 bank accounts with cash amounting to RM889,000 belonging to the suspect and several family members have been frozen.
MACC is also tracing several million ringgit allegedly transferred out of the accounts shortly before the suspect was picked up. – Star Online